Dr. Shamim Ahmed Kamal Uddin Khan
Postharvest Physiology of Horticultural Crops
Teaching and Research Experience:
Research projects supervised as Principal Investigator:
i) Effect of natural and chemical vase solutions on vase life of gerbera, Research grant was of 70,000 Tk. for the project and it was funded by Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh (Ongoing).
ii) Effect of pre-harvest cultural practices and post-harvest treatments on shelf life of gerbera, Research grant was of 2,50,000 Tk. for the project and it was funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Bangladesh in 2017.
iii) Project title “Status of Onion Bulb and Seed Production in Khulna Region (A Salinity Affected Region) and Studies on The Effect of Different Seed Containers on Storability of Onion Seeds”. Research grant was of 92,800 Tk. for the project and it was funded by Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh in 1999.
iv) Project title “Effect of Salinity Stress and Use of Irrigation and Fertilizer for Improving Production of Chilli in Salinity Affected Soils of Bangladesh”. Research grant of 30,000 Tk. For the project was funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Bangladesh in 2000.
Method of retarding an ethylene response: Zora Singh, A Payne, Shamim Khan and Mufta jointly developed ethylene antagonists which will be vital to reduce postharvest losses in fresh produce. Currently fresh produce postharvest losses ranged between 30 to 44%. Patent has been filed through Curtin IP Commercialisation, Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research (Australian Provisional Patent Application, 2015904507; Curtin University of Technology).
PhD (Horticulture- Postharvest Fruit Physiology) Thesis:
Khan, S.A.K.U. 2015. Regulation of postharvest life and quality in horticultural commodities at ambient conditions with new ethylene antagonists. Submitted for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Environment and Agricultuure, Curtin University, Australia. 253p.
M.Sc. Food Science, Technology and Nutrition Thesis:
Khan, S.A.K.U. 2009. Personal and Socio-economic characteristics, status of fruit and vegetable intake and health related problems of the people in arsenic contaminated regions of Bangladesh. School of Biological Science, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland. 56p.
M.Sc. Horticulture Thesis:
Khan, S.A.K.U. 1997. Studies on micropropagation of three potato varieties, Department of Horticulture, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh. 99p.
Scientific Publications/Research Papers
Total = 47, Refereed papers = 38, Refereed conference papers = 7, Compendium = 1, Industry paper = 1
Papers published in refereed Journals:
1. Sheel M, Ahmed MB, Khan SAKU, Islam MM. 2019. Present scenario and problem confrontation of rooftop gardening and its efficacy in ambient environment reclamation in Khulna City of Bangladesh. Fundamental and Applied Agriculture 4(1): 617–626. doi: 10.5455/faa.2656
2. Tabassum P., Khan S.A.K.U., Siddiqua M. and Sultana S. 2018. Effect of guava leaf and lemon extracts on postharvest quality and shelf life of banana cv. Sabri (Musa sapientum L.). Journal of Bangladesh Agricultural University, 16(3): 337–342.
3. Sarmin R.A., Khan S. A.K.U., Fatema K. and Sultana S. 2018. Effect of neem leaf and banana pulp extracts on shelf life and quality of mango (Mangifera indica L.). Journal of Bangladesh Agricultural University, 16(3): 343–350.
4. Siddiqua M., Khan S.A.K.U., Tabassum P. and Sultana S. 2018. Effects of neem leaf extract and hot water treatments on shelf life and quality of banana. Journal of Bangladesh Agricultural University, 16(3): 351–356.
5. Mondal, C., Sultana, S., Mannan, M.A. and Khan, S.A.K.U. 2016. Preparation and sensorial evaluation of pickles, jam, jelly and squash developed from jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus). 9(2): 35-41.
6. Khan, S.A.K.U., Singh, Z., Musa, M.M.A and Payne, A.D. 2016. 1-Hexylcyclopropene in retarding tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) fruit ripening and its mode of action. Scientia Horticulturae, 213: 410-417.
7. Ullah, S., Singh, Z., Khan, A.S., Khan, S.A.K.U., Razzaq, K. and Payne, A. 2016. Postharvest application of 1-MCP and ethylene influences fruit softening and quality of ‘Arctic Pride’ nectarine at ambient conditions. Aust. J. Crop Sci., 10(9):1257-1265. (DOI: 10.21475/ajcs.2016.10.09.p7648)
8. Razzaq, K., Singh, Z., Khan, A.S., Khan, S.A.K.U. and Ullah, S. 2015. Role of 1-MCP in regulating ‘Kensington Pride’ mango fruit softening and ripening. Plant Growth Regul., pp. 1-11 (DOI 10.1007/s10725-015-0101-7)
9. Munira. S and S.A.K.U. Khan, 2010. Quality Variation among Different Sources of Some Summer Vegetable Seeds in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Seed Science and Technology. 14 (1&2) 27-33.
10. Khan, S.A.K.U., S. Munira and S. Sultana. 2009. Effect of seed sources on quality of vegetable seeds. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 4(1&2): 156-160.
11. Shahiduzzaman, M., A. Sayed, S.A.K.U. Khan, M.M. Islam and M.Y. Kabir. 2009. Socio-economic characterics and food consumption status of the city dwellers of Khulna. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 4(1&2): 120-124.
12. M.R. Islam, M.A. Hosain, S.A.K.U. Khan and M.M. Rahman. 2008. Effect of Arsenic on Germination and Seedling Growth of Cauliflower, Onion and Red Amaranth. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 3(1&2): 11-14.
13. Khan, H.I., T. Parvin, D. Biswas, M.R.K. Bhuian, M.M. Islam and S.A.K.U. Khan. 2007. Effect of spirulina containing modified N6 medium and 2,4-D on callus induction and subsequent morphogenesis from matured seeds of rice. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 2(1&2): 7-10.
14. S.A.K.U. Khan, M.M. Haider, A.K.M.K. Islam and M. Ahmed, 2006. Impact of Infrastructural Development and Shrimp Culture on Traditional Agro-Based Rural House Pattern in the Southwestern Regions of Bangladesh. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 1(2): 64-71.
15. Mannan, M.A., Sabiha Sultana, S.A.K.U., Khan. 2006. Evaluation of physical characteristics of some off-season jackfruit germplasms from south-western regions of Bangladesh. Khulna University Studies. 7(2): 71-76.
16. M.A. Mannan, M.M. Hasan, M.B. Ahmed, M.R. Amin and S.A.K.U., Khan, 2006. Present status of nurseries and problems confronted by the nursery owners at Phultala Upazilla of Khulna. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 1(2): 49-54.
17. M.A. Mannan, S.A.K.U., Khan and M.R. Hasan, 2006. Situation of rooftop gardening in Khulna city. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 1(1): 14-18.
18. Mannan, M.A., M. M. Islam and S.A.K.U. Khan, 2006. Effects of methods of grafting and age of rootstock on propagation of off-season germplasms of jackfruit, Khulna University Studies, 7(2): 77-82.
19. S.A.K.U. Khan and R. Ara, 2006. A study on the onion cultivation practices and status of the farmers in South-West Coastal Bangladesh. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 1(1): 44-49.
20. S.A.K.U. Khan, M.M. Islam and M.A. Mannan, 2006. Studies on the status of onion seed trading in Khulna region. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, 1(1): 78-81.
21. Khan, S.A.K.U, M.S. Ali and S.S. Hasan, 2006. Identification and Use of Indigenous Technical Knowledge by the Farmers in Crop Cultivation. Khulna University Studies. 7(1): 73-76.
22. Hoque, M.A., M.S.K.A. Sarkar, S.A.K.U. Khan, M.A.H. Moral and A.K.M. Khurram. 2006. Present Status of Salinity Rise in Sundarban Area and its Effect on Sundari (Heritiera fomes) Species. Research Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences. 2(3): 115-121.
23. Khandakhar, S.M.A.T., M.M. Rahman, M.J. Uddin, S.A.K.U. Khan and K.G. Quddus, 2004. Effect of Lime and Potassium on Uptake of Nutrients by Soil and Tubers in Acid Soils, Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 7 (3): 363-367.
24. Khandakhar, S.M.A.T., M.M. Rahman, M.J. Uddin, S.A.K.U. Khan and K.G. Quddus. 2004. Effect of Lime and Potassium on Potato Yield in Acid Soil. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 7 (3): 380-383
25. M.A. Hoque, K.M.A Sohel, S.A.K.U. Khan and K.S.Z. Mahmud. 2004. An assessment on the impact of natural gas fertilizer factory, fenchuganj, on the local environment. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 7( 4 ): 529-534.