Dr. Md. Nazmul Ahsan
Post Doc (2008)- University of Tokyo, Japan;
PhD (2003)- University of Tokyo, Japan;
MSc. (2000)- University of Tokyo, Japan;
Post-Graduate Research (1997)- University of Tokyo, Japan;
M.S. (1991)- Bangladesh Agricultural University;
BSc. Fisheries (1989)- Bangladesh Agricultural University.
Application of molecular biology and biotechnology tools for fisheries management and increased aquaculture production; post harvest quality assurance of fishery products.
Blue Economy Research Group (BERG)
Current Research Project/Collaboration
|No Research Project Available|
Jan 30, 2006
Jul 24, 2000
Jan 29, 2006
Apr 1, 1998
Jul 23, 2001
Jun 21, 1995
Mar 31, 1998
Sep 5, 1992
Nov 15, 1993
Apart from university teaching and research over 22 years of professional experiences under different capacities with various government agencies, NGOs and international agencies particularly those involved in various development works in southwest coastal region of Bangladesh.
Major positions held with the current employer include:
v Dean of Life Science School, Khulna University (2014-2016);
v Head of Fisheries Discipline, Khulna University (2010-2013);
v Director of Khulna University Research Cell (2004-2007);
v Served as the members of Khulna University Studies Editorial Board, Board of Advanced Studies, Academic Council, Planning and Development, Syndicate etc.
v Expert Committee member of different academic disciplines;
v Coordinator for a number of national/local training courses/seminars/symposia;
International ISI-indexed Journals:
1. H. Harada, Y. Fujimori, R. Gomi, M. N. Ahsan and T. Matsuda. (2018). Pathotyping of Escherichia coli isolated from community toilet wastewater and stored drinking water in a slum in Bangladesh. Letters Applied Microbiol, doi:10.1111/lam.12878.
2. Min-Li, C., H. Harada, S. Fujii, M. Kodera, S. Goto, M. N. Ahsan, S. R. Saha and Akira Sakai (2017). Comparison in Fecal Exposure Assessment of Three Transmission Pathways in a Bangladeshi Urban Slum Community, Journal of Environment System and Engineering, 31: 145-148.
3. M. K. Ahmmed, F. Ahmmed, K. A. Kabir, M. F., S. I. Ahmed and M. N. Ahsan (2017). Biochemical impacts of salinity on the catfish, Heteropneustes fossilis (Bloch, 1794) and possibility of their farming at low saline water. Aquaculture Research, 48: 4251-4261.
4. Rouf, M.A., Istiak, S., Shariar, M., Sarower, M.G. and Ahsan, M.N. (2016). Taxonomic Clarification of Mud Crab Species of Genus Scylla (Brachyura: Portunidae) Available in the Coastal Regions of Bangladesh, Asian Fisheries Science 29:124-136.
5. S. M. Rahman, M. N. Ahsan, Abdullah-Al-Mamun, Md. M. Rahman, Md. M. Hasan and Md. A. H. Chisty (2014). Evaluating the Suitability of Cryoprotectants and Cryopreservation Solutions for Olive Barb, Puntius Sarana. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci. DOI 10.1007/s40011-014-0339-2.
6. S.M. Rahman, M.A. Habib, Q.Z. Hossain, M.N. Siddiqui, M.M. Rahman and M.N. Ahsan (2011). Embryonic development of clarias batrachus under the influence of aeration and water flow. Ecoprint 18: 25-31;
7. H. Makoto, M. N. Ahsan, M. Hiroshi and S. Watabe (2008). CYR61 is a novel gene associated with temperature-dependent changes in fish metabolism as revealed by cDNA microarray analysis on a medaka Oryzias latipes cell line. J. Cell. Biochem. 104:1297-310;
8. M. N. Islam, M. A. Hossain and M. N. Ahsan (2007). Development of a PCR-based protocol for WSSV screening for major crustaceans inhabiting cultured shrimp farm. Int. J. Sustain. Crop Prod. 2(4):9-17;
9. M. N. Ahsan, H. Aoki, and S. Watabe (2006).Characterization of cDNA clones encoding two distinct cathepsins with restricted expression pattern in a marine pelagic fish. Mol. Biol. Report 33: 233-241;
10. M. N. Ahsan, H. Aoki, and S. Watabe (2005). Overexpression in Escherichia coli and functional reconstitution of anchovy trypsinogen from bacterial inclusion body. Mol. Biotech. 30: 193-201;
11. H. Aoki, M. N. Ahsan, and S. Watabe (2004). Molecular and enzymatic properties of a cathepsin L-like proteinase with distinct substrate specificity from northern shrimp (Pandalus borealis). J. Comp. Physiol. 174B:59-69;
12. H. Aoki, M. N. Ahsan, K. Matsuo, T. Hagiwara, and S. Watabe (2004). Partial purification of proteases that are generated by processing of the Northern shrimp Pandalus borealis and which can tenderize beef. Int. J. Food Sci. Tech. 39: 1-10;
13. H. Aoki, M. N. Ahsan, K. Matsuo, T. Hagiwara, and S. Watabe (2003). Purification and Characterization of Collagenolytic Proteases from the Hepatopancreas of Northern Shrimp (Pandalus eous), J. Agric. Food Chem. 51: 777-783;
14. H. Aoki, M. N. Ahsan, and S. Watabe (2003). Heterologous Expression in Pichia pastoris and Single–Step Purification of a Cysteine Proteinase from Northern Shrimp. Prot. Expr. Puri. 31: 213-221;
15. H. Aoki, M. N. Ahsan, and S. Watabe (2003). Molecular Cloning and Functional Characterization of Crustapain: a distinct cysteine proteinase with unique substrate specificity from northern shrimp Pandalus borealis. J. Biochem. 133: 799-810;
16. Aoki, H., Ahsan, M. N. and Watabe, S. (2003). Molecular cloning and characterization of cathepsin B from the hepatopancreas of northern shrimp Pandalus borealis Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 134B: 681-694;
17. Ahsan, M. N., Funabara, D. and Watabe, S. (2002). Anchovy trypsin: Purification, cDNA cloning, and molecular modeling of two isoforms. Fisheries Sci. 68 (Suppl.): 1563-1566;
18. Ahsan, M. N., Funabara, D. and Watabe, S. (2001). Molecular cloning and characterization of two isoforms of trypsinogen from anchovy pyloric ceca. Mar. Biotechnol. 3: 80-90;
19. Ahsan, M. N. and Watabe, S. (2001). Kinetic and structural properties of two isoforms of trypsin isolated from the viscera of Japanese anchovy, Engraulis japonicus. J. Prot. Chem. 20 (1): 49-58;
20. Ochiai, Y., Ahmed, K., Ahsan, M. N., Funabara, D., Nakaya, M. and Watabe, S. (2001). cDNA cloning and deduced amino acid sequence of tropomyosin from fast skeletal muscle of white croaker Pennahia argentata. Fisheries Sci. 67: 556-558;
21. Yoneda, C., Ahsan, M. N., Nakaya, M., Matsubara, Y., Ebihara, T., Irie S., Uno, Y., Hatae, K. and Watabe, S. (2000). Abalone collagens: immunological properties and seasonal changes of their mRNA levels. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 126B: 59-68.
Local Non-indexed Journals:
1. M.A. Asad, M.N. Ahsan and S.K. Saha (2017). Economic analysis of rice-prawn-shrimp farming practices in south-west coastal Bangladesh. Khulna University Studies, 14: 129-136;
2. M. S. Parvez, M. A. H. Chisty, S. M. Rahman, M. N. Ahsan, S. Debnath and M. U. Ahmed (2013). Determination of in vivo protein digestibility of different feed ingredients for walking catfish, Clarias batrachus. IRJALS 2 (5): 1 – 9;
3. S.M. Rahman, S.M. Asaduzzaman, M.N. Ahsan, Q.Z. Hossain, M.M. Rahman and M.A.H. Chisty (2012). Optimizing the stocking density is crucial for growth and survival of catfish, Clarias batrachus larvae. Int. J. Biosci. 2:103-109;
4. M.M. Rahman, S.M. Rahman, M.K. Islam, H.M.R. Islam and M.N. Ahsan (2009). Aquarium business: a case study in Khulna district, Bangladesh. Bangladesh Res. Pub. J. 2(3):564-570;
5. M.M. Rahman, S.M. Rahman, M.A. Asad, M.K. Hossain and M.N. Ahsan (2009). Economic analysis of ornamental fish trade in Khulna district of Bangladesh. Int. J. Ani. Fish. Sci. 2(2): 176-181;
6. M.M. Rahman, M.M. Hasan, M.M. Rahman, M. Hasan and M.N. Ahsan (2008). Mud crab (Scylla serrata) trading in south-western region of Bangladesh. South Asian J Agri. 3(1&2):173-180;
7. V. Biswas, M.N. Islam, M.N. Siddiqi, and M.N. Ahsan (2008). Optimization of DNA extraction from shrimp tissues. Khulna Univ. Studies, 9(2): 239-242;
8. A.A. Airin, N.M. Khatun, AM.H.B. Tareque, B. Biswas and M.N. Ahsan (2007). Status and options for alternative livelihood of female workers in the shrimp processing industries through utilization of shrimp processing wastes in Khulna Region. South Asian J Agri. 2: 39-44;
9. G. Sarker, M.M. Khatun and M.N. Ahsan (2007). Length-weight relationship and condition factor of Puntius stigma from Chanda beel, Gopalgonj. J. Sci. Technol. 5: 144-148.
10. M.N. Islam, M.R Ali, M.M. Khatun, AM.H.B. Tareque and M.N. Ahsan (2006). Development of a protocol for PCR-based rapid identification of white spot syndrome virus in the tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon Fab. Bangladesh J Genet Biotectch 7: 55-62;
11. M.M. Rahman, D. Biswas, AM.H.B. Tareque and M.N. Ahsan (2006). All male and mixed sex prawn production under poly culture with carps, Khulna Univ Studies 7:89-96;
12. Mondal, S.C., M.N. Ahsan, S.M.E. Ershad, S.M. Rahman and M.M. Rahman (2006). Performance of silver carp (Hypophthallmicthys molitrix) in integrated culture with chicken in rural polyculture ponds. Bangladesh J of Life Sci, 18: 87-95;
13. S. M. A. Sobhan, M. M. Khatun, A. M. H. B. Tareque and M. N. Ahsan (2005). Present status of biological waste management in shrimp processing industries of Bangladesh. J. Subtrop. Agril. Res. Dev. 3 (1): 61-66;
14. S. C. Mondal, M. N. Ahsan, M. H. Rashid, A. Razzaque and S. M. Rahman (2005). Production performance of Macrobrachium rosenbergii (De Man) with carps in polyculture system under field condition. J. Sci. Tech. 3: 36-40;
15. M. N. Ahsan, A. H. Airin and M. R. Ara. (2004). Alternative livelihood options for female workers in shrimp processing industries of Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Fish. 27 (special issue): 77;
16. S. M. Rahman, M. A. Bari, M. A. Rahman, M. M. Rahman and M. N. Ahsan. (2004). Fecundity, gonado-somatic index (GSI) and sex ratio of snake head, Channa punctatus (Bloch, 1974). J. Subtrop. Agril. Res. Dev. 2 (1): 1-9;
17. SM Rahman; MN Haque; MN Siddiqui; H Ara and MN Ahsan. 2004. Proximate composition of six shrimp species in Bangladesh. Rajshahi Univ J Zool. 23:13-16;
18. M. N. Ahsan, M. G. Sarower, S.B. Rahman, M.A. Sayeed, and M.N. Islam (2001). On the environment friendly improved extensive culture of Penaeus monodon. Khulna Univ. Studies 2 (1): 91-96;
19. Taylor, S. E., Ahsan, M. N., Rouf, M. A. and Rahman, S. M. (1999). Age-length relationship of freshwater giant prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii de Man) larvae of a private hatchery. Bangladesh J. Fish. 22 (2): 119-123;
20. Ahsan, M. N. and Chakraborty, S. C. (1997). Effect of brood source on the growth of rohu (Labeo rohita Ham.) fingerlings reared in glass tanks with formulated diets. Bangladesh J. Fish. Res. 1 (2): 47-54.
[Peer Reviewed Workshop Proceedings]
1. H. Harada, C. Min-Li, Y. Fujimori, S. Fujii, M. N. Ahsan and A. Sakai (2017). Fecal exposure analysis and E. coli pathotyping: a case study of a Bangladeshi slum. International Symposium on Green Technology for Value Chains, 23-24 October 2017, Jakarta, Indonesia.
2. Min Li Chua, Hidenori Harada, Shigeo Fujii, Md. Nazmul Ahsan, Akira Sakai, Michiya Kodera, Shotaro Goto, Shohagi Rani Saha 2017 Fecal exposure assessment on daily living activities among a Bangladeshi urban slum community. Proceedings of the 26rd Joint KAIST-KU-NTU-NUS Symposium on Environmental Engineering:1-7.
3. H. Harada, Y. Fujimori, R. Gomi, M. N. Ahsan, S. Fujii, A. Sakai and T. Matsuda (2016). Pathotyping of Escherichia coli isolated from community toilet excreta and stored drinking water in a slum in Bangladesh. International Symposium on Global Environmental Studies Education and Research in Asia, November 13-15, Bangkok, Thailand.
4. Parvez, M. S. and Ahsan, M. N. (2016). Development of a multiplex PCR protocol using novel primer for rapid detection of white spot syndrome virus in shrimp. 7th Biennial Fisheries Conference & Research Fair 2016. BFRF, Dhaka, Bangladesh; 69p.
5. H. Harada, M. Kodera, S. Sakai, M.N. Ahsan, and S. Fujii (2014). Fecal Bacterial Exposure and Infectious Risk Assessment in a Slum of Bangladesh. In: Proceedings of World Water Congress and Exibition, International Water Association, Lisbon, Portugal, 21-26 September 2014;
6. Ahsan, M. N., M. A. Rouf and B. Biswas (2012). Status of the Sundarbans Fisheries and Community-based Management Approaches vis-à-vis Climate Change and Environmental Implications. Pp. 14-27. In: M. E. Hoq and A. K. Yousuf Haroon (eds). Sundarbans Fisheries of Bangladesh: Current Status and Potentialities. SBOBLME Pub/Rep. 6. Support to Sustainable Management of the Bay of Bengal Large Marine Ecosystem Project, Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Bangladesh. 56p.
7. A. Sakai, Q. Azaduzzaman, M. Uddin, H. Harada and M. N. Ahsan (2011). Utilization of Human Excreta Derived Resources for the Benefit of Urban Poor: An Integrated Approach toward Improved Sanitation. In Proceedings of Conference on DEWATS for Urban Environments in Asia, 25-28 May 2011 Crowne Plaza Galleria, Manila, The Philippines.
8. Rouf, M. A. and M. N. Ahsan. (2011). Sustainable livelihood of the Sundarbans fishermen community within the purview of Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICM). Pp. 57-66. In: M. E. Hoq and A. K. Yousuf Haroon (eds). Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICM) in Bangladesh. SBOBLME Pub/Rep. 5. Support to Sustainable Management of the BOBLME Project, Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Bangladesh. 88p.
9. M. N. Ahsan, A. H. Airin and M. R. Ara, S. M. A. Sobhan and S. M. Rahman (2004). Making livelihoods more sustainable: evolution of a concept. pp. 1-12. In: M.N. Ahsan (ed). Sustainable Livelihood Approach in Fisheries Education and Research, Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh. 119p.
10. M. M. Khatun, S. M. Rahman, M. H. Ara and M. N. Ahsan (2004). Livelihoods outcomes: lessons learned from five case studies. pp. 39-48. In: M.N. Ahsan (ed). Sustainable Livelihood Approach in Fisheries Education and Research, Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh. 119p.
11. M. R. Ara, A. H. Airin and M. N. Ahsan (2004). Social consideration for fisheries in Bangladesh: a sustainable livelihood perspective. pp. 57-66. In: M.N. Ahsan (ed). Sustainable Livelihood Approach in Fisheries Education and Research, Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh. 119p.
[Funded Research Projects (funding source)]
1. 2018-20. Selection of mangrove species to optimise aquaculture based livelihoods and
biodiversity in climate smart designed polders of Bangladesh (Mangrove-Polders), Food and Business Applied Research Fund (ARF) of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
2. 2018-19. Development of value added products from water hyacinth to support alternative livelihoods and ecological resilience in coastal villages of southwest Bangladesh. (Blue Gold Innovation Fund, The Netherlands).
3. 2017-18. Bacterial flora associated with freshwater prawn hatchery system with particular focus on antibiotic resistant Vibrio spp (GARE, Ministry of Education, GoB);
4. 2016-17. Effectiveness of probiotics uses in extensive shrimp farming (Solidaridad);
5. 2015-16. Impact of treated faecal sludge on fish growth and associated health risk (FSM Project, SNV Netherlands);
6. 2015. Monitoring biodiversity indicators: an endline survey of biodiversity indices and community perception (SDBC-Sundarbans, GIZ);
7. 2014-16. Multiplex PCR-based rapid screening of white spot virus and pathogenic bacteria in shrimp for increased farm productivity and export performance (BAS-USDA-PALS);
8. 2013-14. Biodiversity assessment through field survey in association with remotely sensed data and geographical information system (GIS) in selected coastal areas adjacent to the Sundarbans (SDBC-Sundarbans, GIZ);
2014. Mainstreaming of eccentric aquatic production
system as a climate adaptive alternative livelihood strategy for the coastal
community (Grants for Advanced Research in Science, Ministry of Education,
10. 2013. Production performance of over-wintered freshwater giant prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) in polyculture with carp (Cyprinus carpio) for an early crop (Grants for Advanced Research in Science, Ministry of Education, Govt. of Bangladesh);
11. 2013-14. Efficacy of potassium di-formate as an alternative to antibiotic growth promoter in freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii (IDRS-BFRI);
12. 2013. Coping with shrimp white spot syndrome virus through application of PCR technology that employ non-patented bulk reagents affordable by the farmers (IDSR-BFRI);
2013. Production performance of over-wintered freshwater
giant prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii)
in polyculture with common carp (Cyprinus
carpio) for an early crop (
14. 2011-12. Coordinated Sub-project on Improvement of Agro forestry Practices for Better Livelihood and Environment (SPGR program of BARC);
2010. Cryopreservation of Endangered
Species Silver Barb, Puntius gonionotus
- Sanitation Constraints Classification and Strategy Development in Asian
Cities (Ministry of Environment,
17. 2006. Identification of the sources of nitrofuran and its derivatives and chloramphenicol in shrimp (Scoping study funded by Bangladesh Fisheries Research Forum);
2005. Marketing and value chain analysis of mud crab (Scylla serrata) in the coastal
2005. Development of a low-cost aqua feed from shrimp
processing discards: an integrated approach toward mitigating environmental
pollution through biological waste recycling (Science and
20. 2004. Development of options for utilization of shrimp processing wastes by female processors (DFID, UK through University Grants Commission of Bangladesh).