Dr. Kh. Mahfuz-ud-Darain
· Heritage conservation
· Heritage materials characterization
· Structural strengthening
· Structural assessment using numerical analysis (e.g. Finite Element method)
· Structural behaviour of RC member
PhD (Structural Strengthening and Material) (UM, Malaysia)
Masters (University of Minho, Portugal)
B.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Rajshahi University of Engg. &Technology,BD)
1. Principal Investigator of project “Assessment of the climate change impacts on world heritage structures: A case study on Khalifatabad city in Bagerhat”. Funding body: Khulna University Research cell
2. Research Assistant of project “Strengthening structural elements for load and fatigue”. Funding body: Ministry of Higher Education, High Impact research Grant (HIR-D000036) Malaysia
3. Associate Investigator of project “Determination of the causes, magnitude and remedies for salinity problems in building Materials of coastal regions in Bangladesh”. Funding body: Khulna University Research cell
1. National Consultant of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for developing Full Concept Note (CN) and Project Preparation Facility (PPF) for Green Climate Fund (GCF) Projects under" Resilience and Inclusive Cluster”
2. External Consultant for NGO Forum for Public Health
Award and Scholarship:
1. GRAS scholarship to pursue PhD study in University of Malaya, Malaysia
2. Erasmus Mundus Scholarship (EC funded) to pursue Masters Study in University of Minho, Portugal
3. BITR Scholarship to pursue B.Sc. Engg. (Civil) in RUET, Bangladesh
Seminar Key Note Speaker :
1. International Seminar-Workshop on “Climate Change Impact and Cultural Heritage”
1. Professor - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2016-present date
2. Associate Professor - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2009 - 2015
3. Assistant Professor - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2004 - 2009
4. Lecturer - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2002 - 2004
1. Heritage conservation, Structure(I-VIII), Engineering Material and Construction
Post Graduate Student supervision :
Towab Md. Shahriar (MScHS-180101) – On going
Thesis Title : Investigating the community waste disposal behavior on urban water: Girijanath canal as a case
Thesis Title : Exploring rural tourism as alternative approach to sustainable livelihood in rural costal area of Bangladesh: Gabura as a case
Kumar Sen (MScHS-170112)
Thesis Title : Impact of street lighting on natural movement: A configurational analysis
Hassan Al-Tanbin (MScHS-170118)
Thesis Title : Assessing the spatio-physical aspects of shared toilets in the slum area of Khulna city
Publications &Ongoing Research (Selected Peer-reviewed Journal):
1. Hosen, M. A., Alengaram, U. J., Jumaat, M. Z., & Sulong, N. H. &Darain, K. M. (2017). Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer (GFRP) Bars for Enhancing the Flexural Performance of RC Beams Using Side-NSM Technique. Polymers, 9(5), 180.
2. Huda, M. N., Jumaat, M. Z., Islam, A. B. M., Darain, K. M. U., Obaydullah, M., & Hosen, M. A. (2017). Palm oil industry's bi-products as coarse aggregate in structural lightweight concrete. COMPUTERS AND CONCRETE, 19(5), 515-526.
3. Obaydullah, M., Jumaat, M. Z., Alengaram, U. J., Darain, K. M., Huda, M. N., & Hosen, M. A. (2016). Prestressing of NSM steel strands to enhance the structural performance of prestressed concrete beams. Construction and Building Materials, 129, 289-301.
4. Darain, K.M., Jumaat, M. Z., Shukri, A. A., Obaydullah, M., Huda, M. N., Hosen, M. A., & Hoque, N. (2016). Strengthening of RC Beams Using Externally Bonded Reinforcement Combined with Near-Surface Mounted Technique. Polymers, 8(7), 261.
5. MdAkter Hosen, MohdZaminJumaat, A. B. M. Saiful Islam, M. Obaydullah, Kh. Mahfuz ud Darain, Md. Nazmul Huda (2016) Investigation on Energy Absorption Capacity of RC Beams with Near Surface Mounted (NSM) Technique Using Ductile Materials. Science of Advanced Materials Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 1536-1546(11).
6. Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, SahaboddinShamshirband, MohdZaminJumaat, M Obaydullah (2015) Adaptive Neuro Fuzzy Prediction of Deflection and Cracking Behavior of NSM Strengthened RC Beams. Construction and Building Materials. Elsevier Publication. 98: 276-285.
7. Ahmad Azim Shukri, Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, MohdZaminJumaat (2015) The Tension-Stiffening Contribution of NSM CFRP to the Behavior of Strengthened RC Beams. Materials. MDPI Publishers. Vol. 8: No. 7. pp. 4131-4146.
8. Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, MohdZaminJumaat, A B M Saiful Islam, M Obaydullah, Asif Iqbal, Md Ibrahim Adham, MdMoshiur Rahman (2015) Energy efficient brick kilns for sustainable environment. Desalination and Water Treatment. Taylor and Francis Publishers. pp. 1-10.
9. K M Darain, M Z Jumaat, M A Hossain, M A Hosen, M Obaydullah, M N Huda, I Hossain (2015) Automated serviceability prediction of NSM strengthened structure using a fuzzy logic expert system. Expert Systems with Applications. Elsevier Publication. Vol. 42: No.1. pp. 376-389.
10. A B M Saiful Islam, MohdZaminJumaat, K M Darain (2015) Retrofitting of vulnerable RC structures by base isolation technique. Earthquakes and Structures. Techno Press Publishers.
11. K.M. Darain, M.Z. Jumaat, S.M. Nazimuddina , A. Ahsan, M.M.A. Aziz, R. Rashid, M. Obaydullah , A.B.M.S. Islam (2015) A Review of Corrosion Behavior of Metallic Heritage Structures and Artefacts. JurnalTeknologi. Vol. 77, No. 1.
12. K M Darain, A Ahsan, A B M S Islam, M Obaydullah, R S M Rashid (2014) Investigating the deterioration of an industrial heritage structure. Int. J. Sustainable Materials and Structural Systems. Vol. 1: No. 3. p. 282-302.
13. A B M S Islam, R R Hussain, M Z Jumaat, K M Darain (2014) Implication of rubber- steel bearing nonlinear models on soft story structures. Computers and Concrete. Techno Press Publishers.Vol. 13: No. 5. p. 563-579.
14. K M Darain, A Ahsan, A B M S Islam (2013) Assessing Structural Damages of a Heritage Building. Research in Civil and Environmental Engineering. Vol. 1: No. 4. p. 226-233. ISSN 2345-3109.
15. K M Darain, A B M S Rahman, A Ahsan, A B M S Islam, B Yusuf (2013) Brick Manufacturing Practice in Bangladesh: A Review of Energy Efficacy and Air Pollution Scenarios. Journal of Hydrology and Environment Research. Vol. 1: No. 1. p. 60-69. ISSN 2201-7313.
16. H Rahman, K M Darain (2007) A Description of Buildings in Khalifatabad City, Bagerhat. Protibesh. Vol. 11: No. 1. p. 17-22. ISSN 1812-8068.
17. A K M K Islam, K M Darain (2006) Causes and magnitude of Dampness in buildings of Coastal Region in Bangladesh. KU Studies. Special Edition: pp. 07-14. ISSN 1563-0897.