S M Mahbubur Rahman
Ph.D. from Graduate School of Agriculture, Kobe University, Japan in 1997. Major in Molecular Genetics
MS from Graduate School of Agriculture, Kobe University, Japan in 1997. Major Plant cell and Tissue Culture
B. Sc. Agriculture (Hons) from, Shere Bangla Agricultural University, Bangladesh
Actinomycetes have the capability to synthesize many different biologically active secondary metabolites such as antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides, anti-parasitic, and enzymes like cellulase and xylanase used in waste treatment. The genus, Streptomycetes, is responsible for the formation of more than 60% of known antibiotics while a further 15% are made by a number of related Actinomycetes. Though there is a large number of antibiotics produced from microorganisms, the demand for new antibiotics continues to grow due to the rapid emergence of antibiotic-resistant pathogens causing life-threatening infections in spite of considerable progress in the fields of chemical synthesis and engineered biosynthesis of antimicrobial compounds.
My research interest is:
Bioprospecting of the actinomycetes resources of the Marine Coastal
Sediments of the Sundarbans for Potential Bioactive Compounds.
Current Research Project/Collaboration
|SL||Title||Research Role||Awarded Date||Completion Date||Funding Agency|
|1||Isolation and Characterization of Actinomycetes from Marine Coastal Sediments of the Sundarbans for Potential Bioactive Compounds.||Principal Investigator||July 2019||June 2022||National|
|2||Bioprospecting the Medicinal Plants of the Sundarbans for Bioactive Natural Products||Principal Investigator||July 2015||June 2018||National|
|3||Strengthening the Academic Environment of biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (BGE) Discipline at Khulna University||Principal Investigator||September 2014||December 2016||National|
1. Served as Subject Matter Officer, Department of Agricultural Extension, Ministry of Aviculture from 20/12/1989 to 30/09/1991
2. Served as Senior Scientific Officer, Bangladesh Sugarcane Research Institute, Ishurdi, Pabna, Bangladesh from 4/10/1998 to 24/04/1999.
3. Twenty three Years of teaching experience at Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh
1. Rahagir Salekeen , Joydip Barua, Punam Rani Shaha, Kazi Mohammed Didarul Islam, Md Emdadul Islam, Md Morsaline Billah and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman, 2021. Marine phycocompound screening reveals a potential source of novel senotherapeutics, Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics, https://doi.org/10.1080/07391102.2021.1877822 P 1-15.
2. K. M. Hossain, B. Mazumder, S.M.M. Rahman and M.A. Hamid, 2020. Genetic diversity analysis of lactic acid bacteria from yogurt samples of Bangladesh using RAPD-PCR technique, Bangladesh Journal of Livestock Research, Vol. 27 (1&2): 55-63. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjlr.v27i1.55169
3. K. M. Hossain, A.K. Das, S.M.M. Rahman, S. Roy and M.A. Hamid, 2020. Biochemical property analysis of native probiotic isolates from selective poultry, Bangladesh Journal of Livestock Research, Vol. 27 (1&2): 39-54 https://doi.org/10.3329/bjlr.v27i1.55168
4. Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, Sabiha Sarwar, Farah Sabrin, Farzana Alam, Lutfun Nahar, Hossain Sohrab, Satyajit D. Sarker, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman and Morsaline Billah, 2020. Molecular identification and antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi isolated from Heritiera fomes (Buch. -Ham), a mangrove plant of the Sundarbans, Beni-Suef University Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences (2020) 9:61 https://doi.org/10.1186/s43088-020-00081-9
5. Rahagir Salekeen, Sadia Noor Mou, Md Emdadul Islam, Asif Ahmed, Md Morsaline Billah, S.M. Mahbubur Rahman and Kazi Mohammed Didarul Islam 2020. Predicting Multi-Enzyme Inhibition in the Arachidonic Acid Metabolic Network by Heritiera fomes Extracts, Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics, DOI:
6. Falguni Guha, Bijoy Kumar Mondal, S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, Fauzia Begum, Md. Nurul Abser 2020. Antibiotic Sensitivity for Ready-to-Eat Fish-Based Food-Borne Bacterial Pathogens, J. Pharm. Med. Res. 5(1): 89–92
7. Mithila Farjana, Khondoker Moazzem Hossain and Sana Mohammad Mahbubur Rahman 2020. Molecular analysis of the isolated probiotic microorganisms from yoghurt samples, distributed in Khulna and Chittagong City of Bangladesh, using RAPD marker, Journal of Bioscience and Agriculture Research, 25(1): 2075-2084.
Tauhidur R. Nurunnabi, Farah Sabrin, Dilara I. Sharif, Lutfun Nahar, Md. H. Sohrab, Satyajit D. Sarker, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman and Md. Morsaline Billah 2020. Antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi isolated from the mangrove plant Sonneratia apetala (Buch. ‑ Ham) from the Sundarbans mangrove forest, Advances in Traditional Medicine, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13596-019-00422-9
Salauddin Al Azad, Khondoker Moazzem Hossain, Sana
Mahbubur Rahman, Mohammad Faysal Al Mazid, Pallob Barai, Mohammad
Shamim Gazi 2020. In ovo inoculation of duck embryos with different strains of
Bacillus cereus to analyse their synergistic post-hatch antiallergic potentialities, Veterinary Medicine and Science, 6:992–999. DOI: 10.1002/vms3.279
10. Emdadul Islam, S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, Md. Hossain Sohrab, Rana Biswas, Mohammad Shaef Ullah and Kazi Didarul Islam 2019. Concordance of antioxidant and anti-Inflammatory activity in Xylocarpus granatum (Koen), J Bangladesh Agril Univ 17(4): 466–475.
11. Afiya Aunjum, Rana Biswas, Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman, Md. Morsaline Billah, Md. Emdadul Islam and Kazi Mohammed Didarul Islam (2019). Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of three herbs belonging to Zingiber genus of Bangladesh, Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13596-019-00403-y
12. Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, Shaymaa Al-Majmaie, Lutfun Nahar, Ismini Nakouti, S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, MD. Hossain Sohrab, MD. Morsaline Billah, Fyaz MD. Ismail, George P. Sharples and Satyajit D. Sarker 2019. Sonneratinone: A new antimicrobial benzofuranone derivative from the endophytic fungus Aspergillus niger isolated from the mangrove plant Sonneratia apetala Buch. - Ham, Trends Phytochem. Res. 3(3): 222-227
13. Jalil MA, Mahbubur Rahman SM and Hossain KM 2019. Molecular Identification of Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Regional Yoghurt Samples of Bangladesh Using 16S rDNA Sequencing, Advances in Pharmacology and Clinical Trials ISSN: 2474-9214, 4(2): 1-9.
14. Md. Emdadul Islam, Kazi Mohammed Didarul Islam, Md. Morsaline Billah, Rana Biswas, Md. Hossain Sohrab and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman 2019. Antioxidant and anti‑inflammatory activity of Heritiera fomes (Buch.‑Ham), a mangrove plant of the Sundarbans, Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine https://doi.org/10.1007/s13596-019-00401-0
15. Khandkar Shaharina Hossain, Sharnali Das, Sushmita Kundu, Shahriar Afrin, Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi and S.M. Mahbubur Rahman 2019. Isolation and Characterization of Polythene Degrading Bacteria from Garbage Soil. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Bioresearch Vol. 4, No. 05; ISSN: 2456-8643 www.ijaeb.org Page 254-263.
16. Rana Biswas, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman, Kazi mohammad Didarul Islam, Md. morsaline Billah, Afiya Aunjum, Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, Sujon Kumar kundu and Md. Emdadul Islam 2019. Antioxidant, Anti-inflammatory, and Anticoagulation Properties of Aegiceras corniculatum and Acanthus ilicifolius, Pharm Biomed Res 2019; 5(3):35-44.
17. Sharnali Das, Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, Rehana Parveen, Amatun Nur Mou, Md. Emdadul Islam, Kazi Mohammad Didarul Islam and S.M. Mahbubur Rahman 2019. Isolation and Characterization of Indole Acetic Acid Producing Bacteria from Rhizosphere Soil and their Effect on Seed Germination. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 8(3): 1237-1245
18. S. M. Robiul Islam, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman and Md. Shamim Akhter, 2019. Effect of F. oxysporum extracts on seed germination and vegetative growth of Abelmoschus esculentus (Okra). Journa of Bangladesh Army University of Engineering and Technology, 2(1): 13-20.
19. K.M. Hossain, P. Barai, S.M.M. Rahman, M.F. Al-Mazid, M.S.Gazi and M.A. Jalil, 2018. Isolation and biochemical characterization of probiotic bacteria obtained from yogurt samples of Rajshahi and Chittagong divisions of Bangladesh and their antimicrobial activity against enteric pathogens, Bangladesh Journal of Livestock Resarch, Special Vol. (21-25): 142-152.
Pallob Barai, Khondoker Moazzem Hossain, Sana
Mohammad Mahbubur Rahman,
Mohammad Faysal Al Mazid, and Mohammad Shamim Gazi 2018. Antidiarrheal Efficacy of Probiotic Bacteria in Castor Oil Induced
Diarrheal Mice, Prev. Nutr. Food Sci. 23(4):294-300
https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2018.23.4.294; pISSN 2287-1098ㆍ eISSN 2287-8602
21. S. Sultana, S. K. Adhikary, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman M. M. Islam, and 2018. Sexuality and compatibility of Bipolaris sorokiniana and segregation pattern in telomorph (Cochliobolus sativa): geographic origin and segregation ratio. Indian Phytopathology, 71(3): 365–375.
22. Farzana Alam, Kazi M. Didarul Islam and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman. 2018. Variability among selective guava (Psidium guajava L.) varieties revealed by morphology and RAPR markers. jahangirnagar University journal of Biological Sciences. 7(2): 89-98, ISSN 2306-0263.
23. Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, Shaymaa Al-Majmaie, Ismini Nakouti, Lutfun Nahar, S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, Md. Hossain Sohrab, Md. Morsaline Billah, Fyaz m.D. Ismail, George P. Sharples and Satyajit D. Sarker, 2018. Antimicrobial activity of kojic acid from the endophytic fungus Colletrichum gloeosporioides isolated from Sonneratia apetala, a mangrove plant of the Sundarbans, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 11(4): 1-5.
24. S. Sultana, S. K. Adhikary, M. M. Islam, and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman 2018. Evaluation of Pathogenic Variability Based on Leaf Blotch Disease Development Components of Bipolaris sorokiniana in Triticum aestivum and Agroclimatic Origin, Plant Pathol. J. 34(2) : 93-103
A. Rahman, S.M.M. Rahman and M.A. Jalil 2018. A study on the anti-allergic
effects of the native probiotic isolates on
β-histine hydrochloride induced mice model, Bang. J. Livs. Res. Special Vol. 21-25, 2018: P. 36-44, ISSN 1022-3851
26. Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, Lutfun Nahar, Shaymaa Al-Majmaie, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman, Md. Hossain sohrab, Md. Morsaline Billah, Fyaz M. D. Ismail, M. Mukhlesur Rahman, George P. Sharples and Satyajit D. Sarker 2018. Anti-MRSA activity of oxysporone and xylitol from the endophytic fungus Pestalotia sp. growing on the Sundarbans mangrove plant Heritiera fomes, Phytotherapy Research, 32: 348-354.
27. Satyajit D. Sarker, Lutfun Nahar, Tauhidur Rahman Nurunnabi, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman, Md. Hossain sohrab, Md. Morsaline Billah, Fyaz M. D. Ismail and George P. Sharples 2017. A mini-review on oxysporone, Trends Phytochem Res., 1(2): 55-60.
28. M. Mizanur Rahman, K. Moazzem Hossain and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman (2016). Isolation, characterization, and properties study of probiotic lactic acid bacteria of selected yoghurt from Bangladesh. African Journal of Microbiology Research. Vol. 10(1), pp. 23-31.
29. S. M. Khaledur Rahman, Abdul Jalil, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman and Khondoker Moazzem Hossain 2015. A study on probiotic properties of isolated and identified bacteria from regional yoghurts, International Journal of Bioscience, 7: 139-149.
30. S. M. Khaledur Rahman, Biplob Kumar dash, Forhad Karim Shoikat, S. M. Mahbubur Rahman and Khondoker Moazzem Hossain 2015. Characterization of probiotic bacteria isolated from regional chicken feces, African Journal of Microbiology Research, 9: 880-885.
31. Sifat Tasnim, Rakhi Saha, K. M. Didarul Islam and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman 2015. PCR Amplification of 16S rDNA of seven Specis under six Genera of Cucurbitaceae Family, South Asian J. Agric, 6(1 & 2): 19-21.
32. Md. Shamim Akther, S.M. Mahbubur Rahman and Md. Hafizur Rahman, 2012. Micropropagation of Bauhina acuminata L., 1(3): 35-43.
33. M. Mahfuza Khatun, Khondoker Moazzem Hossain and S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, 2012. Molecular characterization of Selected Local and Exotic Cattle Using RAPD Marker, Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 25(6): 751-757.
34. M.Z Hoque, F. Akter, K.M. Hlssain, M.S.M. Rahman, M.M. Billah and K.M.D. Islam, 2010. Isolation, Identification and Analysis of Probiotic Properties of Lactobacillus Spp. from Selective Regional yoghurts, World journal of Dairy & Food Sciences, 5(1): 39-46.
35. F. Alam, M. A. Mannan and S. M. M. Rahman, 2009. Assessment of Genetic Variability of Selective Mango (Mangifera indica) Varieties by RAPD Analysis. South Asian J. Agric. 4(1&2): 63-66.
36. F. Akther, S.M.A. Awal and S.M.M. Rahman (2009). Effect of growth regulators on in vitro multiplication of Dianthus (Dianthus chinensis). South Asian J. of Agric. 4(1 & 2): 128-131.
37. U. Salma, M. S. M. Rahman, S. Islam, N. Haque, M. Khatun, T. A. Jubair and B. C. Paul, 2008. Mass Propagation of Rauwolfia serpentina L. Benth, Pakistan journal of Biological Science, 11(9): 1273-1277.
38. S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, Farhana Afroz, Kaberi Sultana, Palash kumar sen and Md. Raihan Ali, 2006. Effect of Growth Regulators and State of Media on Micropropagation of Adhatoda vasica (Nees), University Studies, Special Issue (1st Research Cell Conference): 55-59.
39. M Belal Hossain Sikder, Palash kumar Sen, M Abdullah-Al Mamun, M. Raihan Ali and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman, 2006. In Vitro Regeneration of Aromatic Rice (Oryza sativa L.), International Journal of Agriculture & Biology, 8(6): 759-762.
40. Shefali Boonerjee, Palash Kumar Sen, Md. Firoz Alam and S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, 2006. In Vitro Clonal Propagation of Onion (Allium cepa L.) through Shoot Tip Culture, Khulna University Studies, 7(1): 49-53.
41. Shefali Boonerjee, Palash Kumar Sen, Md. Firoz Alam and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman 2006. Micropropagation of Onion (Allium cepa L.), Khulna University Studies, 7(1): 55-58.
42. Md. Anwar Hossain, Md. Taslim Hossain, Md. Raihan Ali and S. M. Mahbubur Rahman 2005. Effect of Different Carbon Sources on in vitro Regeneration of Indian Pennywort (Centella asiatica L.), Pakistan journal of Biological Science, 8(7): 963-965
43. S. M. Mahbubur Rahman, Md. Shahidul Islam, Palash Kumar Sen and Ferdousi Begum 2005. In vitro Propagation of Oncidium taka, Biotehnology 4(3): 225-229.
44. P.K. Sen, S.M.M. Rahman, M.F. Hasan, M.A.S. Miah, M.H. Rahman and A.S.M. Noman, 2004. Biochemical Composition and Enzymatic Analysis of Sugarcane Varieties Isd-16 and Isd-28, Khulna University Studies, 4(2): 775-778.
45. S.M. Mahbubur Rahman, Palash Kumar Sen, M. Fida Hasan, M.A. Samad miah and M. Habibur Rahman, 2004. Purification and Characterization of Invertase Enzyme from Sugarcane, Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 7(3): 340-345.
46. S.M.M. Rahman, M.A. Mamun M.Z. Karim and A.B.M.M. Rahman, 2002. In Vitro Regeneration of Promising Sugarcane Varieties of Bangladesh, Khulna University Studies, 3(1): 465-469.
47. S.M.M. Rahman and M. Yoshida, 2002. Regulation of Seed Dormancy in Cherimoya (Annona cherimola Mill.), Khulna University Studies, 4(1): 677-681.
48. S.M.M. Rahman, M.R. Ali and T. Shimada, 2001. Genetic Variability of Annona Species Studied by Nucleotide Sequences, Bangladesh J. Genet. Biotechnol., 2(1 & 2): 91-99.
49. Mahbubur Rahman S.M., Takehiko Shimada, Toshiya Yamamoto, John Y. Yonemoto and Masao Yoshida, 1998. Genetic Diversity of Cherimoya Cultivars Revealed by Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphism (AFLP) Analysis, Breeding Science 48(1): 5-10.
50. Mahbubur Rahman S.M., Masahiko Yamada and Masao Yoshida 1997. Relationship of Annona Species as Revealed by PCR-RFLP Analysis, Breeding Science, 47(4): 335-339.
51. Mahbubur Rahman S. M., Takehiko Shimada, John Y. Yonemoto and Masao Yoshida 1997. Classification and Parentage Determination by RAPD Analysis in Cherimoya (Annona cherimola Mill.), Mem. Grad. School Sci. & Technol., Kobe Univ., 15-A: 73-84.
A course of 3rd Year Term IRunning
Techniques in Molecular Biology
A Sessional CourseRunning
- Molecular Genetics
- Techniques in Molecular Biology