Md. Nasif Ahsan, Ph.D.
Natural Hazards | Climate Change | Disaster Risk Reduction | Microeconomics
- Ph.D. in Disaster Management (with Policy Study) from National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Tokyo, Japan in 2016.
- MSc. in International Development Studies from Wageningen University, the Netherlands in 2010.
- BSS (Hons) in Economics from Khulna University, Bangladesh in 2003.
1. Head, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (March 03, 2019 to date)
2. Professor, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (Jul 2016 to date)
3. Research Assistant; International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM),Tsukuba, Japan (October 2013 to Sep 2016)
4. Associate Professor, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (July 2012 to July 2016)
5. Assistant Professor, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (July 2008 to July 2012)
6. Lecturer, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh, July 2005 till July 2008)
1. Vink, K., & Ahsan, M. N. (2018). The benefits of cyclones: A valuation approach considering ecosystem services. Ecological Indicators, 95, 260-269. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.07.035
2. Ahsan, M. N. (2017). Can Strategies to Cope with Hazard Shocks be Explained by At-Risk Households’ Socioeconomic Asset Profile? Evidence from Tropical Cyclone-Prone Coastal Bangladesh. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, 8(1). doi:10.1007/s13753-017-0119-8
3. Vink, K., Ahsan, M. N., Sawano, H., & Ohara, M. (2017). Global Water-Related Risk Indicators: Meta-Analysis of Indicator Requirements. Journal of Disaster Research, 12(2), 355-367. doi:10.20965/jdr.2017.p0355
4. Ahsan, M. N., Takeuchi, K., Vink, K., & Ohara, M. (2016). A systematic review of the factors affecting the cyclone evacuation decision process in Bangladesh. Journal of Disaster Research, 11(4), 742-753. doi:10.20965/jdr.2016.p0742
5. Ahsan, M. N., Takeuchi, K., Vink, K., & Warner, J. (2016). Factors Affecting the Evacuation Decisions of Coastal Households during Cyclone Aila in Bangladesh. Environmental Hazards, 15(1), 16-42. doi:10.1080/17477891.2015.1114912
6. Ahsan, M. N., & Warner, J. (2014). The Socioeconomic Vulnerability Index: A Pragmatic Approach for Assessing Climate Change led Risks-A Case Study in the South-western Coastal Bangladesh. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 8, 32-49. doi:10.1016/j.ijdrr.2013.12.009
7. Ahsan, M. N. (2014). Effects of Livelihood Strategies on Mangrove-forest Resource: Do the Consumption Behaviour of Households Jeopardise the Forest Resource Base? Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, 25(6), 696-711. doi:10.1108/MEQ-05-2013-0048
8. Ahsan, M. N., Nasrin, N., Gazi, M. R., & Ahmed, M. F. (2013). Effects of Climate Induced Vulnerability on the Household Consumption Expenditure: Evidences from the South western Region Bangladesh. Plan Plus, 6, 26-42.
9. Ahsan, M. N., Nasrin, N., Akter, A., & Hashem, T. (2011). Foreign Aid, Corruption and Economic Development: An Empirical Analysis on Selected Asian and African Countries. Journal of Innovation and Development Strategies, 5(3), 1-8.
10. Ahsan, M. N., Ahmed, M. F., Nasrin, N., & Bappy, M. H. (2011). Climate change induced vulnerability on living standard- A study on south-western coastal region of Bangladesh. Journal of Innovation and Development Strategy, 5(3), 24-28.
11. Ahsan, M. N., & Haque, R. (2010). Climate change and income inequality: A study on some selected areas of coastal region in Bangladesh. Journal of Socioeconomic Research and Development, 7(2), 830-836.
12. Ahsan, M. N. (2008). The construction of Khan Jahan Ali Bridge: Its effects on income and household ownership patterns during different time periods. Business Review, 6(1), 19-28.
13. Siddiqua, T., & Ahsan, M. N. (2006). Major problems and prospects of Mongla seaport. Journal of the Institute of Bangladesh Studies, 24, 25-46.
14. Ahsan, M. N., & Siddiqua, T. (2005). Mongla seaport: Trade trends and efficiency. Business Review, 4(1), 63-73.
1. Ahsan, M. N., Vink, K., & Takeuchi, K. (2017). Livelihood Strategies and Resource Dependency Nexus in the Sundarbans. In R. DasGupta & R. Shaw (Eds.), Participatory Mangrove Management in a Changing Climate: Perspectives from the Asia-Pacific (pp. 137-160). Tokyo: Springer Japan; doi: 10.1007/978-4-431-56481-2_9.
2. Ahsan, M. N., Vink, K., & Takeuchi, K. (forthcoming). Disaster preparedness in cyclone prone areas: Lessons and experiences from coastal Bangladesh. In J. McGlown (Eds.), Case Studies in Disaster Preparedness. Elsevier.
Conference Papers and Poster
1. Ahsan, M. N., Saifullah, & Islam, M.S. (2019, 12-14 January). The Social Capital and Livelihood Recovery Nexus After Cyclone Aila: A Study in The Southwestern Coastal Bangladesh. Paper presented at the International Conference on Disaster Risk Management, Dhaka. Available at https://jidpus.buet.ac.bd/ICDRM2019/proceedings
2. Ahsan, M. N., Takeuchi, K., & Vink, K. (2016, 27-29 January). The challenges and opportunities of early warning messages aimed at evacuation compliance: A case report following Cyclone Aila in Bangladesh. A Poster presented at the UNISDR Science and Technology Conference on the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, Geneva. Available at https://www.preventionweb.net/files/45270_137.pdf
3. Ahsan, M. N., & Takeuchi, K. (2016, 05-09 June). How does hazard-preparedness training enhance resilience for household at risk? Paper presented at the The 7th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Kyoto.
4. Vink, K., Ahsan, M. N., & Sawano, H. (2016, 05-09 June). The Benefits of Cyclones as Ecosystem Services. Paper presented at the The 7th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Kyoto.
5. Ahsan, M. N., & Takeuchi, K. (2015, 14-16 March). How do people decide to evacuate or not? A case report from the cyclone Aila. Paper presented at the UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, Sendai.
6. Haider, M. Z., Mohsin, K. F., & Ahsan, M. N. (2011, 23-24 February). Structural Changes of the Industrial Sector: A Study on the South-West Region of Bangladesh. Paper presented at the National Conference on Contemporary Issues in Economics, Sylhet.
1. Doctoral Study
Ahsan, M. N. (2016). Disaster Preparedness at Household and Community Levels: The Case of Cyclone Prone Coastal Bangladesh. National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Tokyo. Doi: 10.24545/00001522
2. MSc. Study
Ahsan, M. N. (2010). Climate change and socioeconomic vulnerability: experiences and lessons from south-western coastal Bangladesh. (MSc. International Development Studies), Wageningen University Library, Wageningen. Retrieved from http://edepot.wur.nl/146194