Dr. Muhammad Abdur Rouf
PhD (2007- 2010): Coastal Environment, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa,Japan;
MS (2000-2001): Integrated Tropical Coastal Zone Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand;
BSc. (1992-1996): Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh
Estuarine & Marine Ecology; Oceanography; Fish Population Dynamics; Fisheries Conservation & Management.
Professor (July, 2008 – till today), Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh.
Associate Professor (July, 2004 – July, 2008), Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh.
Assistant Professor (July, 2001 – July, 2004), Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh.
Lecturer (March, 1997 – July, 2001), Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh
1. Ali, M.Y., Hossain, M.B., Sana, S., Rouf, M.A ., Yasmin, S, Sarower, M.G. 2020. Identifying peak breeding season and estimating size at first maturity of mud crab (Scylla olivacea) from a coastal region of Bangladesh. Heliyon 6:e04318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e04318
2. Rouf, M.A, Antu, A.H. and Noor, M.I.2020. Seasonal and Annual Variability of Chlorophyll- a in the Shelf Region of the Northern Bay of Bengal Using MODIS-Aqua Data. Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies. [Accepted 24.04.2020]
3. Khanom, M., Rouf, M.A., Ahsan, N., Siddiqui, N. & Tomljanovic, T. (2020). Morphological characteristics, growth and age structure of allochthonous fish pumpkinseed, Lepomis gibbosus in Bara Lake, Croatia. Bulg. J. Agric. Sci., 26 (1), 213–222. https://www.agrojournal.org/26/01-28.pdf
4. Rouf, M. A.; Rahman, Md. Moshiur; Rahman, Sk Mustafizur; and
Ahsan, Md Nazmul. 2019. Coming Stakes in the Ocean: Food Production, Shipping
and Trade, Tourism, Ecosystem-biodiversity, New Technologies and Climate Change
Challenges in Bangladesh, : Vol. 6: Iss. 2,
5. M M Rahman, N Nur, M M Al‐Hasan, S Asaduzzaman, M A Rouf, S M Rahman 2019. Effects of light and artificial fish shelter (PVC pipe) on some phenotypic traits of stinging catfish (Heteropneustes fossilis Bloch, 1794). Aquaculture Research, 00:1–11, DOI: 10.1111/are.14354 [IF 1.37]
6. M.S. Hossain, S.M. Sharifuzzaman, S. R. Chowdhury, M.A Rouf, and M.D. Hossain, 2019. Hilsa (Clupeidae: Tenualosa ilisha) predators in the marine and riverine ecosystems of Bangladesh. Journal of Science Asia. 45:154–158.DOI: 10.2306/scienceasia1513-1874.2019.45.154 [IF 0.452]
7. M.S. Hossain, S.M. Sharifuzzaman, M.A Rouf, R.S. Pomeroy, M.D. Hossain, S.R. Chowdhury, and S. A. Uddin, 2019. Tropical hilsa shad (Tenualosa ilisha): Biology, fishery and Management. Journal of Fish and Fisheries. 20:44–65.DOI: 10.1111/faf.12323 [IF 6.65]
8. Shahriar, S.I.M.,and Rouf, M.A. 2018. Sex ratio, length-weight relationship, condition and relative condition factor of mud crab (Scylla olivacea) in Sunderban mangrove forest, Bangladesh. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 6 (4), 451-455.
9. M.S. Sumon, F. Ahmmed, S.S. Khushi, M. A. Rouf, and M.G. Sarower. 2016. Growth performance, digestive enzyme activity and immune response of Macrobrachium rosenbergii fed with probiotic Clostridium butyricum incorporated diets, Journal of King Saud University – Science, Elsevier, DOI: 10.1016/j.jksus.2016.11.003. [IF 2.83]
10. M. A. Rouf, S.I.M. Shahriar, G. Sarower, M. N. Ahsan. 2016. Taxonomic Clarification of Mud Crab Species of Genus Scylla (Brachyura: Portunidae) Available in the Coastal Regions of Bangladesh. Journal of Asian Fisheries Science, 29, pp124-136.
11. M. G. Sarower, S.I.M. Shahriar, H. Nakamura, M. A. Rouf, and S. Okada. 2016. Taxonomic confirmation of mud crab species (genus Scylla) in Bangladesh by nuclear and mitochondrial DNA markers. Mitochondrial DNA Part A:DNA Mapping, Sequencing, and Analysis, Informa UK Limited, Taylor & Francis Group, pp 1-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/24701394.2016.1214726 [IF 0.566]
12. Hossain, M. A. R., M. N. Naser, M. G. Q. Khan, M. K. Fatema, M. A. Rouf, S. Sultana and M. Noman 2015. First record of the blue Striped Hermit Crab, Clibanarius Longitarsus (Decapoda, Crustacea) from Sundarbans Mangrove Forest, Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Zool. 43(1): 131-135. ISSN: 0304-9027 (Print) 2408-8455 (Online).
13. Roy,B.K., S.I.M. Shahriar, M.A.Rouf. 2015. Determination of fishing time chart In the coastal regions of Bangladesh using harmonic tidal analysis. Marine conservation and blue economy symposium SOS-USAID-WorldFish-BAPA-RV. Dhaka, Bangladesh.
14. Rouf M. A. and Nakaza E. 2014. Seasonal behavior of the internal tide and associated water temperature in Genka Bay, Okinawa, Japan. Journal of Coastal Research. [http://www.jcronline.org/doi/abs/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-11-00225.1]. [IF 0.9]
15. M.Z.Hussain, M.H.Khan, A. Hossain, and M.A.Rouf. 2014. Resources and Services, Chapter-5, Bangladesh Sundarban Delta Vision 2050: A first step in its formulation – Document 2: A compilation of background information, IUCN Bangladesh Country Office. Bangladesh. 192pp.
16. Roy, B.K. and Rouf, M.A. 2013. Harmonic Tide and its relation with fisheires In the south-west coast of Bangladesh. 4th International Conference on Water & Flood Management (ICWFM-2013), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh.
17. Sarower G., Bilkis, S., Rouf M. A., Khanam, M., and Islam, S. 2013. Comparative Biochemical Composition of Natural and Fattened Mud Crab Scylla serrata. J. Sci. Res. 5 (3), 545-553.
18. Rouf M. A., Islam M. M. M., Hambrey J. and Telfer T. C. 2012 Nutrient budget of shrimp culture ponds in Southwest coastal region of Bangladesh, Journal of Aquaculture in the Tropics, Vol.27. Indian Institute of Technology, MD Publications Pvt. Ltd. India.
19. Rouf M. A. and Ahsan, N. 2012. Sustainable livelihood of the Sundarbans fishermen community within the purview of integrated coastal management. pp. 57-66. In: M. E. Hoq and A. K. Yousuf Haroon (eds.). 2012. Integrated Coastal Management (ICM) in Bangladesh. SBOBLME Pub./Rep. 5. Support to Sustainable Management of the BOBLME Project, Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Bangladesh. 88 pp.
20. Ahsan, M. N., Rouf M. A. and Biswas B. 2012. Status of the Sunderbans fisheries and community-based management approaches vis-a-vis climate change and environmental implications. pp. 14-27. In: M. E. Hoq and A. K. Yousuf Haroon (eds.). 2012. Sunderbans fisheries of Bangladesh: Current status and potentialities. SBOBLME Pub./Rep. 6. Support to Sustainable Management of the BOBLME Project, Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Bangladesh. 56 pp.
21. Nakaza E., Iribe, T. and Rouf M. A. 2010. Numerical simulation of tsunami currents around the moving structures, 32nd international conference on coastal engineering, ICCE-2010, Shanghai International Convention Center, Chiina. Proceedings of the International Conference on Coastal Engineering, No 32 (2010). https://journals.tdl.org/ICCE/article/view/1329
22. Rouf M. A. and Nakaza E. 2010. Harmonic tidal currents associated with the internal tide in Genka Bay, Okinawa, Annual Journal of Civil Engineering in the Ocean, JSCE, Vol.26: 351-356.
23. Rouf M. A., Nakaza E., Kudaka R. and Liliane K. 2010. Characteristics of the internal tide and its associated cooling system in Genka Bay, Okinawa, Japan. Journal of Hydraulic, Coastal and Environmental Engineering (Doboku Gakkai Ronbunshuu-B), JSCE, Vol. 66(2): 157-166.
24. Rouf M. A., Nakaza E., Akamatsu Y., Kudaka R., Miyaguni Y. and Liliane K. 2009. Effects of internal tide on currents and water temperature in Coral habitat area, Annual Journal of Civil Engineering in the Ocean, JSCE, Vol.25, pp. 123-128.
25. Matsuda S., Nakaza E., Rouf M. A., Nakama T., Takeuchi R. and Sunagawa, K. 2009. Characteristics of currents on the shelf surrounding the north-west coral area of Miyako-jima, Okinawa, Annual Journal of Civil Engineering in the Ocean, JSCE, Vol.25, pp. 1371-1376.
26. Liliane K., Nakaza E., Watanabe, Y. and Rouf M., A. 2009. GIS analysis of changes in the coast near Genka River, Okinawa, Japan Society of Civil Engineering Annual Meeting, Vol.7 (132),
27. Rouf, M. A, Hasan, M. J. and Siddique M. N. 2009. Water quality of a canal adjacent to alternative shrimp-paddy culture field. International Journal of Animal and Fisheries Science, Vol. 2(1): 137-143.[ http://gscience.gurpukur.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_123_124&products_id=630].
28. Ryutaro K., Onohara M., Rouf M. A., Lilian K., Shinmi N. and Nakaza E. 2008. Sea current and water quality in summer season in Genka Bay of Okinawa, Annual Journal of Civil Engineering in the Ocean, JSCE, Vol. 24: 621-625.
29. Zaman, A. Q. M. S., Mistry, S. K. and Rouf, M. A. 2008. Impact of different culture technique on production and economics in baor fisheries: a case of Benipur, Chuadanga. International Journal of Animal and Fisheries Science, Vol.4: 79-84. [http://gscience.gurpukur.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_8_115&products_id=561].
30. Rouf, M. A, Hasan, M. J. and Siddique M. N. 2009. Water quality of a canal adjacent to alternative shrimp-paddy culture field. International Journal of Animal and Fisheries Science, 2(1): 137-143.[ http://gscience.gurpukur.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_123_124&products_id=630].
31. Rouf, M.A, karim S.M.M, Hasanuzzaman A.F.M., Kibria K.Q. and Chisty M.A.H., 2007. Variation in water and soil characteristics within a production cycle in an alternative shrimp-paddy cultivation plot in Khulna, Coastal Bangladesh. Khulna Univ.Studies, Vol 8(2): 221-230.
32. Rouf, M.A. and Islam, M.M.M., 2006. Water quality and management of shrimp culture in southwest coastal areas of Bangladesh. Khulna Univ.Studies. Vol 7(1): 91-98.
33. Rouf, A. 2006. Environmental capacity management of shrimp culture in southwest coastal region of Bangladesh. TROPECA monograph. ISBN: 984-32-3370-0. FMRT,KU/Nautilus Consultants Ltd./AFGRP-DFID, Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh, 16pp.
34. Rouf, A. 2005. Towards a strategy for sustainable fishery management and community livelihoods in the sundarbans coastal area, Bangladesh. Book chapter In: Andong, R.F., Ikejima, K., Boromthanarat, S. & Pedersen, O. (eds). 2005. Integrated Tropical Coastal Zone Management: Application and Practices in Asia. Danida–AIT Cooperation 2000-2005. Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand. Pp.141-155. [http://www.bio-web.dk/op/pdf/ITCZM_foreword.pdf]; [http://krlib.cs.ait.ac.th/greenstone/collect/integra1/index/assoc/HASH01d1.dir/doc.pdf]
35. Rouf, M. A. and Ali, M. S. 2005. Shrimp (Penaeus monodon, Fabricius) culture in Satkhira coastal area of Bangladesh. Subtrop. Agric. Res. Dev. Vol. 3 (1): 8-12.
36. Shah,M. M. R., Alam, M. J., Rheman, S., Khan, M. S. A. and Rouf, A. 2004. Effect of salinity on the culture of standard micro algae species used in aquaculture and implications for brackish water hatcheries in Bangladesh. Khulna Univ.Studies. Vol.4(2):769-774.
37. Hossain, M.S., Alam, S.M.N., Lin, C.K., Demaine, H., Khan, Y.S.A., Das, N.G., and Rouf, M. A, 2004. Integrated management approach for shrimp culture development in the coastal environment of Bangladesh. World Aquaculture. 35(1): 35-43. [https://www.was.org/main/Article.asp?Type=Magazine&Volume=35&Issue=1]
38. Rahman, S.M., Siddiqui, M.N., Haque, M.N., Rouf, M. A., Bari, M.A. and Chisty, M.A.H. 2003. Culture techniques of Moina species with organic and inorganic fertilizers. Khulna Univ. Studies. Vol.5 (1): 21-25.
39. Azam, K. and Rouf, A. 2003. The Sundarbans fishery at a glance. The Sundarbans – The largest Mangrove Forest on the Earth: A World Heritage Site. Seminar paper. Khulna University. Bangladesh. Pp. 1-6.
40. Rouf, M. A., Alam, G.M., Islam, M.M.M. and Rahman, M. 2003. Livelihood of a shrimp fry collector community adjacent to the Sundarbans: A case study of Shonatala village, Bagerhat. The Sundarbans – The largest Mangrove Forest on the Earth: A World Heritage Site. Seminar paper. Khulna University. Bangladesh. Pp. 42-53.
41. Shah, M.S., Mostafa, M., Rouf, M. A. and Rahman, Sk. M. 2003. Water quality parameters of the Sundarbans water systems. Proceeding of the International Workshop on Research Methodologies on Mangrove Ecosystem. University of Wales, Bangor University of UK and Khulna University link program, Khulna University, Bangladesh. Pp.126-137.
42. Rouf, A., Ghosh, R.K., and Uddin, M. F., 2002. Polyculture Performance of Indigenous and Exotic Fish Species in Pond. Bang. J. Fisheries, Vol. 25 (1-2): 227-237.
43. Rouf M. A. and Jensen, K.R. 2001. Coastal fisheries management and community livelihood: Possible strategy for the Sundarbans, Bangladesh. ITCZM Monograph 4, 24pp. Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand. [www.itczm.ait.ac.th/6Publications/01monograph/4rouf.pdf]
44. Taylor, S.E., Ahsan, M.N., Rouf, M. A. and Rahman,S.M. 1999. Age-length relationship of freshwater giant prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii, de man) larvae of private hatchery. J. Fisheries. 22 (2) : 119-123.
45. Mehedi, M.Y., Islam, M.S., Rouf, M. A. and Mostafa, M. 1999. Biochemical composition of some sea weeds from St. Martin’s Island, Bangladesh. Khulna Univ. Studies. 1(2) : 283-287.
Rahman, Sk.M. and Rouf, M. A. 1998. Study of bacterial load at different
concentrations of chlorinated water washing on shrimp (Penaeus monodon)
at the processing line of frozen fish industry. Proceedings of the National
Seminar on Coastal Environment and Energy Resources in Bangladesh. Khulna
University-CARE-UGC-USIS, Bangladesh. Pp. 45-47
1. Ongoing Research Project and your position on the project (eg. as PI, Co-PI, Consultant etc)
Variability of chlorophyll-a distribution in the shelf zone of Bay of Bengal. Khulna University Research Cell, Bangladesh. Principal Investigator: